How to Free Up iCloud Storage Space?

Tutorials about 3uTools and iOS. A place for you to learn more about iOS.

Moderators: Lily Lee, jc_3u, Moderators

Grace Liu
like: 65

How to Free Up iCloud Storage Space?

Postby Grace Liu » 16 Jan 2017 16:56

Apple offers 5 GB of free iCloud space to everyone, but you’ll run up against that storage limit sooner than you’d think. Device backups, photos, documents, iCloud email, and other bits of data all share that space.

If you have multiple iOS devices, you’ll run out even faster. That free 5 GB is per Apple ID, not per device, so it’s a good idea to free up wasted space before paying for more.

To see how much you currently have, open the Settings app, select “iCloud”, and find where it says “Storage” to view how much space you have left in your iCloud account.

图片1.png
图片1.png (116.98 KiB) Viewed 10805 times
图片2.png
图片2.png (63.48 KiB) Viewed 10805 times

If things are starting to get low, here are a few things you can do.

Manage Your Backups

Each iPhone or iPad you own automatically backs up data from your installed apps to your iCloud account. To see your iCloud backups, navigate to iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage in Settings. This screen shows how much space everything is using in your iCloud account, including backups and app data. iCloud only keeps the latest backup for each of your devices. Tap a device at the top to view more details about the backup.

图片3.png
图片3.png (77.59 KiB) Viewed 10805 times

Back Up Photos Elsewhere
To free up space, you can disable iCloud Photo Library and Photo Stream by tapping on “Photos” from the main iCloud screen and disabling these features.

图片4.png
图片4.png (74.58 KiB) Viewed 10805 times

Delete Documents & Data
Tap an app under the “Documents & Data” section to view files that are taking up space. Swipe a file to the left and tap “Delete” to delete it from your iCloud storage. Be careful when doing this, though, as you could delete important documents and other files you might want to keep.

图片5.png
图片5.png (41.48 KiB) Viewed 10805 times

Prune Your iCloud Mail
If you’re using Apple’s iCloud Mail, your email also counts toward your iCloud storage usage. Free up space by deleting emails, especially emails with large file attachments.

图片6.png
图片6.png (111.93 KiB) Viewed 10805 times

ParkPrince
like: 7

Re: How to Free Up iCloud Storage Space?

Postby ParkPrince » 26 Jun 2017 14:43

Thanks for the detailed info, it is useful. I also had trouble with iCloud storage space. I did not choose a paid plan but just use the 5 free GB. But I received the iCloud storage full message soon after I set up my ID. To be honest, I didn't like the monthly paid plan but I had too much data that needed to be backed up. Then I got to know that iCloud was not the only option to backup data. Actually I choose to backup iPhone to PC instead of iCloud.

TaylorSims00
like: 2

Re: How to Free Up iCloud Storage Space?

Postby TaylorSims00 » 18 Jul 2017 14:58

I will always backup with iTunes.

Return to “Tutorials”