This Guy Saved His Lost AirPod Using A Makeshift Magnetic 'Fishing Pole'

General talk about anything. No spamming.

Moderators: Lily Lee, jc_3u, Moderators

Jacob Black
like: 70

This Guy Saved His Lost AirPod Using A Makeshift Magnetic 'Fishing Pole'

Postby Jacob Black » 26 Apr 2017 11:05

Anyone who has worn Apple's futuristic wireless earbuds, AirPods, gets the same question: What happens when one falls out and you can't retrieve it?

That's exactly what happened to Paul Canetti, founder and CEO of MAZ, a company that builds apps for media companies like Forbes and USA Today.

He was rocking one of his AirPods on Monday, listening to a New York Times podcast, when — whoops! — one fell down a grate in New York City.

1.jpg
1.jpg (40.4 KiB) Viewed 4121 times

Not content with a single-AirPod setup, and wanting to avoid spending $69 for a replacement, he jury-rigged a magnetic retrieval device, and got his single earbud back.

Canetti walked to a nearby Ace Hardware and tried to figure out how to get his AirPod back. "It was about 6 feet under the sidewalk from what I could tell. Luckily there was a bottom instead of some subway tunnel or something, so I was thinking about some sort of hook on a string? Or like a mini-noose with a thin rope?" he said.After testing to make sure the magnet could be applied to his other AirPod, Paul tied the rope around the "super magnet" pole and went AirPod fishing. "After a couple of tries, I was able to get it in the perfect spot and I heard the satisfying click of the AirPod sticking to the magnet. Then I carefully pulled it up, but it got stuck to the grate again on the way up! I was afraid of it falling back in, but I carefully guided it out. And then he succeeded to get his Airpods.

Return to “General Talk”