How to Disable OTA Updates on a Jailbroken Device?

How to use 3uTools Jailbreak?

Moderators: Lily Lee, jc_3u, Moderators

Grace Liu
like: 65

How to Disable OTA Updates on a Jailbroken Device?

Postby Grace Liu » 08 Jun 2017 17:10

Disabling firmware updates is essential for keeping your jailbreak safe and sound. Here are a few tried and tested methods to disable OTA updates on iPhone, iPad and iPod.

The methods that are given below work on pretty much all latest firmware versions. Now onto the tutorial.

How to disable OTA updates on a jailbroken device?

Method 1 - Use iCleaner Pro
Using iCleaner is the best and easiest way to disable OTA updates. Here’s what you need to do.
Step 1 Launch iCleaner Pro

Step 2 Tap the “+” button at the bottom.

Step 3 Go to Launch Daemons and look for OTA update daemons.

Step 4 Switch its toggle to the left to disable it.

Step 5 Tap the Apply button present in the top right corner. That’s it.

icleaner-ota-daemon-1.jpg
icleaner-ota-daemon-1.jpg (40.33 KiB) Viewed 22141 times

This will disable the OTA Update daemon – the background process that controls iOS updates.

Method 2 - Install tvOS profile
You can install tvOS profile while running iOS because tvOS is based on iOS. When you install the tvOS profile, your device looks for tvOS updates, not iOS updates.

tvosprofile1-1.jpg
tvosprofile1-1.jpg (19.78 KiB) Viewed 22139 times

But since tvOS is only compatible with AppleTV, it will not download tvOS on your iOS device. No iOS updates will get installed unless you remove the tvOS profile.

What this essentially does is forces your device download iOS updates from tvOS beta server. Therefore, this method works even if your device is in not in jailbreak mode.

Method 3 - Use Mikoto tweak
You can use Mikoto Cydia tweak to disable OTA updates as well. However, I don’t recommend you try this method.

mikototweak-1.jpg
mikototweak-1.jpg (39.4 KiB) Viewed 22141 times

Mikoto is available for download on Karen’s Pineapple repo. It is compatible with iOS 10.

Method 4 - Use Otadisabler tweak
OTADisabler is tailor-made Cydia tweak that disables OTA updates.

Before you install this tweak, you must remove the downloaded OTA data. You can do this by navigating to Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage > Manage Storage.

Reboot your device next to get this tweak working.

otadisabler-1.jpg
otadisabler-1.jpg (41.22 KiB) Viewed 22141 times

OTADisabler is available for download on Ichitaso’s Cydia repo (http://cydia.ichitaso.com/). It is compatible with iOS 10 only.

Method 5 - Block Apple's update servers
Blocking Apple’s update servers will disable OTA updates automatically. Click blacklist and then click add. Select
Step 1 Download and install any of these applications from the App Store –
*1Blocker
*WeBlock
Step 2 Now blacklist the following domains using any of these applications –
*mesu.apple.com – Apple’s Mobile Asset Software Update service. When you block access to this server, your device will not be able to check whether a new update is available.
*appldnld.apple.com – Apple’s iOS and software repository. This server stores the iOS firmware update. Blocking access to this server is optional.
otadisabler-1.jpg
otadisabler-1.jpg (41.22 KiB) Viewed 22141 times

anonymos
like: 0

Re: How to Disable OTA Updates on a Jailbroken Device?

Postby anonymos » 09 Jun 2017 13:03

Following this tutorial "How to Downgrade iPhone 4 from iOS7 to iOS6.1.3 without SHSH Blobs Using 3uTools?" I was able to jailbreak with iOS 6.1.3. After tethered boot, the pineapple logo appears for a short time and device go back to DFU mode showing only black screen. Tried several times but with no luck. Now even iTunes is not showing up my device. Can you help me fix this thing?

Grace Liu
like: 65

Re: How to Disable OTA Updates on a Jailbroken Device?

Postby Grace Liu » 12 Jun 2017 09:50

anonymos wrote:Following this tutorial "How to Downgrade iPhone 4 from iOS7 to iOS6.1.3 without SHSH Blobs Using 3uTools?" I was able to jailbreak with iOS 6.1.3. After tethered boot, the pineapple logo appears for a short time and device go back to DFU mode showing only black screen. Tried several times but with no luck. Now even iTunes is not showing up my device. Can you help me fix this thing?

Dear, your iPhone can’t boot. Please click “Advanced→Tethered root” to start up iPhone with guidence.
And may I know your product type as the following picture on 3uTools?
Attachments
product type.jpg
product type.jpg (9.11 KiB) Viewed 22107 times

Return to “Jailbreak Tutorials”