Did you meet any iPhone scam ?

Tutorials about 3uTools and iOS. A place for you to learn more about iOS.

Moderators: Lily Lee, jc_3u, Moderators

kristine
like: 60

Did you meet any iPhone scam ?

Postby kristine » 07 Dec 2016 17:11

Did you meet any iPhone scam ? Share your experience and let users avoid this again.
Here iPhone SCAMs are latest attempt to steal your bank details, here's how to avoid it .

Losing your smartphone is already bad news.But this new scam preys upon those who have been victim of theft, or who have misplaced their Apple iPhone. In a post on medium, Joonas Kiminki of Hackernoon described how he was singled out for the elaborate iPhone scam after his Apple smartphone was stolen from his car, through a broken window. Mr Kiminki immediately marked the device as lost, and asked the Find My iPhone send an email if the phone was found. He later received an email with the news that his iPhone had been found. Mr Kiminki was asked to follow a link in the email and login with his iCloud account details to see the location on his phone.

1.jpg
1.jpg (28.34 KiB) Viewed 7878 times

Unfortunately, the email and the iCloud login portal were part of an elaborate phishing scam. But both were terrifyingly accurate. In fact, the only real giveaway that you are not on the genuine Apple service is the URL, which was show-iphone-location.comJoonas Kiminki now believes the thieves found his name through Medical ID, and used it to reverse engineer his email address. If the scammers had gained access to his Apple ID and password they could have marked the iPhone as found. That unblocks the handset and would have allowed them to wipe it – and sell it on as a fully-functional device.

2.jpg
2.jpg (40.39 KiB) Viewed 7878 times

You should always take caution whenever services like Find My iPhone are activated."The scam was so professional with perfect English and mobile responsive web pages that I consider myself lucky not to have given away my password."

3.jpg
3.jpg (40.24 KiB) Viewed 7878 times

If you find this email in your inbox – delete it. The scam correspondence resembles an invoice from Apple and claims you recently purchased a song from the iTunes Store. Apple customers are told they now face a £23.34 charge for the song, listed in this example as For You by Lil Kesh.

4.jpg
4.jpg (23.46 KiB) Viewed 7878 times

Other scams have tried to same trick with a text message. A statement on the US technology firm's website addresses the scam: "The iTunes Store will never ask you to provide personal information or sensitive account information (such as passwords or credit card numbers) via email."Email messages that contain attachments or links to non-Apple websites are from sources other than Apple, although they may appear to be from the iTunes Store."Most often, these attachments are malicious and should not be opened. "You should never enter your Apple account information on any non-Apple website."

"Most often, these attachments are malicious and should not be opened. "You should never enter your Apple account information on any non-Apple website." You should never use the same email and password combination across different websites and services.

Return to “Tutorials”